Friday, October 11, 2013

october dress project // day 5


Last Saturday, my dad and I went downtown to go to the Student Life Expo. I had wanted to go to the University fair the weekend before, but my family as gone to visit my older brother and I'm not experienced enough to drive through all the crazy traffic in Toronto. It was really unfortunate, because both my older siblings had gone when they were my age and they said that it was really helpful if you weren't too sure what universities to apply to. While I do have a few in mind, I really wish I could have gone to narrow down my choices. There were some university booths at the Student life Expo but they were from mainly smaller universities from all over Canada. There were a couple universities at the expo that I am considering applying to so that was good. 

Truth is though, I feel very unprepared for life after high school. Both my older siblings waited a year before going to university and while I kind of want to dive into school with gusto, at times I'm feel really unprepared mentally and emotionally right now. A lot can change in a year, but little can change as well. I just don't want to jump into something that I'm not completely prepared for.

However, if I decide to take a year off, I'd definitely not be working the traditional job. I can't do a traditional office job. I worked with my dad as an administrative assistant and it did not suit me at all. I need to be creative, either with my hands or my head, and I need to do something I'm at least mildly interested in. Calling clients and talking about a new software that will help with sewer management is not really my area of interest.  

If I were to take I year off, I'd love to go off and work somewhere north or west, Alberta or the Yukon, either as a nanny, or as just a farm hand. One of my friends just came back from the Yukon after a year there and she absolutely loved the experience. She was a nanny in a little town and took care of two young boys, living with the family and helping out anyway she could. And I would absolutely love to do that kind of thing. I feel that being separated from my family would really help grow as a person and I've always wanted to travel. I also do need to save up money for school and this is a great way of combining all three of these. 





Dress: thrifted
Blazer: sister's
Tights: Fairweather
Boots: old riding boots
Socks: Giant Tiger
Necklace: thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment